One of the keys to your ongoing career success is to make investments in your career development, finding effective ways to boost your skills and experience. Investing in your career may involve getting personal career training, getting additional certifications, going back to school or participating in professional development programs which will allow you to acquire knowledge and discover career opportunities which may be better than what you have right now. Investing in your career will also allow you to have some control over how fast you move forward in your career and should also help you achieve work and life balance.
In today’s fast-paced job market, not investing in your career development is like swimming endlessly in an open sea – you just swim without having the assurance that you are near the shore already. When you are not taking your career development seriously, you are risking your career and financial security. You may be doing well at some point of your career but at some point you may discover that something has gone wrong and you are clueless about what to do next.
Avoiding career pitfalls is easy. All you need is to personally be involved in your career development. You need to start working on your career development now to achieve long-term success.
- Get additional certifications related directly to your current work or the work you hope to do. Being certified in certain fields will not just boost your professional image but will allow you to advance in your career. A certification won’t take much of your time and is not as expensive as doing a degree or other high level qualification.
- Go back to university and get an additional degree. Get a masters degree to take your career in a different direction. Getting a higher degree will give you a better chance of being promoted, get a higher salary or become successful in creating your own career. Getting a degree is especially advantageous when you are an older worker. You have to keep up with competition.
- Earn your reputation online. You can maintain your own website where you can showcase your expertise. You can also create your own profile in social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- Join professional organisations. It will also help if you join professional organisations within your industry to earn reputation and to build your network.
- Work with a coach. A career coach will help you in making important career decisions. The training, support and coaching programs will definitely help you in creating work that you were meant to do.
Investing in your career is investing in your future. Investing in your career is the perfect way to get financial security. So plan, read, learn, get a degree, take courses, get advice and build your network. Life Directions Institute offer the best career tools, training and assistance to allow you to find your value, improve your skills and secure your future!